Friday 14 December 2012

Seriously Serious Gaming!



Inside The Haiti Earthquake - The Serious Game.

Our lecturer asked to play this game and she want us to give reflection after playing it. Well, at first I thought it was just an ordinary game. After trying it, I felt different and I have new perspective about gaming; The bright side of game of course for the educational purpose. In the game, I choose a rule as a survivor and what had i experienced when playing that game I can simplify below:
1) I know how its feel like being in an earthquake situation. This is because the game uses a real visual aid that make it live. (Picture,Scene,Voice)
2) I realise that I have been so ignorant as I do not really care when it happen. Thus, it make me grateful because I live in a place where out of such a danger zone.
3) Playing this game is not just for fun. We can use game as a tool for learning too!



How to Integrate This game In writing Lesson?Any Activity?
There are some activity that I can create for writing lesson such as:

  • I asked them to play this game. After that, I asked them to write an essay based on the role they have chosen in this game. They have to include the process of playing that game. 
  • In addition, I can also ask them to describe the earthquake tragedy.
  • In the other hand, I can ask them to come out with an essay on cause and effects of earthquake. For making this learning activity successful, I should give them an information about the earthquake. For example, I tell them WH question about the game. So that, students know more about the issue that helps them to create a successful essay. 


                                                                                       Rational VS Self judgement
What are The Advantages Using Game as A Learning Medium to Students?
It is true the fact that using game in teaching are applicable, but we have to know and study the possibility for students to get distracted by these game. As a solution for the issue i mention above, I think we can use this method successively by giving fully guidance to the students.
Through this game, students can learn the moral value such as to be grateful, patience and help other who needs.Thus, they can apply it in daily life. As a future teacher, we cant simply says that we will use game in teaching writing. It needs a self judgement whether we can carry a lesson using these or not. In my opinion, it is good to challenge our ability to teach by using this game. Thus,we have to plan a lesson properly or otherwise we could fail!
                                                                     

1 comment: